St. Paul Family Settles Claim Against AFG and Supervalu
Three-year-old sickened after eating meatballs contaminated with E. coli O157:H7
St. Paul, MN (February 25)--A settlement was reached today between meat manufacturer American Foods Group, Inc ("AFG"), Supervalu, a local grocery outlet supplier, and three-year-old, Sonja Pearson. The suit was filed after the toddler contracted E. coli O157:H7 and became violently ill in November 2000 after consuming meatballs prepared from hamburger supplied by Supervalu.
Due to her illness, Sonja was hospitalized for over a month at Children's Hospital in St. Paul. During her struggle, Sonja's kidneys failed, requiring 27 consecutive days of lifesaving dialysis treatments. In addition, she also developed peritonitis, an inflammation of the stomach lining and her internal organs. Throughout her hospital stay, Sonja suffered from persistent abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
With hospital bills in excess of $250,000, Sonja's condition has improved, but medical experts believe that, because of her illness, she has an increased risk of developing progressive renal disease, which can manifest itself in kidney failure, colonic stricture, gall bladder disease, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Continue reading St. Paul Family Settles Claim Against AFG and Supervalu on the Marler Clark website.
More on this outbreak: AFG and Supervalu E. coli Outbreak