E. coli infection kills Cleveland girl, 7; case may be linked to Illinois company's beef recallThe Plain Dealer
By Leila Atassi | May 21, 2009
A 7-year-old Cleveland girl died Sunday from an E. coli infection that local health officials say could be linked to a massive ground-beef recall issued Thursday from an Illinois-based company.
Health officials did not identify the girl or provide details of the circumstances that led to her death. But Cleveland Health Director Matthew Carroll said the case might be the latest in a cluster of E. coli infections traced to Valley Meats LLC of Coal Valley, Ill.
The company pulled nearly 100,000 pounds of hamburger patties Thursday after a U.S. Department of Agriculture investigation confirmed that three Cleveland-area residents were infected by eating the same tainted ground beef.
Continue reading, "E. coli infection kills Cleveland girl, 7; case may be linked to Illinois company's beef recall" at Cleveland.com.
More on this outbreak: Valley Meats E. coli Outbreak