Jason's Deli E. coli OutbreakBeginning in April of 2011, The Bell County Health District (BCHD) began reporting higher than average incidences of E. coli infections. An epidemiological investigation followed revealing that many victims had eaten at Jason's Deli at 3213 East Central Texas Expressway in Killeen. Testing showed that an April 13-made batch of guacamole spread used for the restaurant's "California Club" sandwich was responsible for the outbreak.
Health officials believe that the food was contaminated on site during food preparation as no E. coli was found in other Jason's Deli or any other point in the chain of distribution. In all, 11 people were confirmed ill, 5 tested positive for E. coli O157:H7 infections, and two were hospitalized.
In some cases, an E. coli infection may cause a complication called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS) which may lead to acute kidney failure, require long-term care, and may even result in death. Learn more at www.about-hus.com