About E. coli Blog
Toddler dies from E. coli bacteria
23-month-old Olivia Perkins died from complications related to the deadly E. coli bacteria, which causes diarrhea and ultimately can lead to kidney failure through hemolytic uremic syndrome, which is caused by E. coli.
Her mother told Columbus WBNS’s James Black that she isn’t sure how she contracted the bacteria, but says she’s frustrated by the lack of coordination among various county health departments in tracking the deadly bacteria.
"They were trying to make it sound like it’s just this family," Rebecca Perkins said. "It’s not just this family. They’re not doing anything. I don’t mean that they’re not doing anything, it’s just that they’re not doing enough."
Ohio public health officials are still recommending that consumers follow the FDA warning and not consume bagged spinach at this time.