About E. coli Blog
SW Virginia Child Dies of E. coli
According to news reports, a child in SW Virginia has died of an E. coli infection, and another person “in close contact” with the child has been infected as well.
Virginia Department of Health spokesman Robert Parker said Monday afternoon that the E. coli that killed the child and infected a second person has been identified as the strain “0157H7.”
Unofficially, the child who died has been identified as a 2-year-old girl from Dryden, Va. A call to the Lee County Health Department requesting information about the death of a 2-year-old Dryden girl due to possible E. coli infection was directed first to the Wise County Health Department, then to Dr. Eleanor Cantrell, director of the Lenowisco Health District. A call requesting comment from Cantrell was later returned by Parker.
The girl’s brother is reportedly undergoing treatment at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, although officials there declined to release any information on the boy.