About E. coli Blog
Milkshakes linked to E. coli illness
A 15-year-old Calgary girl was put on dialysis yesterday after drinking a milkshake at Peters’ Drive-In, a popular Calgary eatery that health officials say is behind an E. coli outbreak. Three other people were admitted to the hospital for the same illness.
The Calgary Health Region reports 13 confirmed cases of the illness, all of them linked to marshmallow milkshakes that an infected employee made at the restaurant.
E. coli, which is found in a variety of foods, can cause diarrhea and stomach cramps or even kidney failure, especially among children and people with weak immune systems.
The restaurant was temporarily closed, but health inspectors gave it the green light to reopen this week.