About E. coli Blog
Huntsville E. coli outbreak ends in death
WAFF reported this morning that one of the victims of an E. coli outbreak traced back to Little Rosie’s Mexican restaurant in Huntsville, Alabama, has died. The victim, whose name was not released, became ill with an E. coli infection in July, and developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a complication of E. coli infection.
The woman was one of the first to develop the E. coli bacteria in her bloodstream in July, and had spent the last several weeks in the hospital.
The family says the bacteria acted at least as a catalyst in their loved one’s death. She passed away Wednesday morning.
The only common denominator among the cases health department officials could find was shredded lettuce served at Little Rosie’s, a Mexican restaurant in Huntsville.
Health officials have not yet released information on whether they were able to identify a specific food served at Little Rosie’s that was the source of the E. coli outbreak.