About E. coli Blog
Food companies in e.coli inquiry
Firms supplying food to the South Wales schools hit by an e.coli outbreak are reportedly being examined as part of the public health inquiry into the disease.
The National Public Health Service for Wales initially said at the weekend that seven cases had been identified in the past few days. That rose to 22 on Monday, and another one was confirmed on Monday afternoon. Now the number of confirmed cases of e.coli food poisoning in the south Wales valleys has risen to 31 in 16 schools.
Consultant epidemiologist Dr Roland Salmon confirmed that all the children involved had been in the “school catering system. We will work back up through the food chain – that is an important element of any investigation. If that requires looking at wholesalers, manufacturers, retailers, those steps will be set in motion.”
The schools involved are opening on Tuesday as usual. However, parents have been told that children with a stomach upset should be kept home as a precaution and a helpline has been set up. All other children should still go to school, and if parents were still concerned they could contact the helpline.