About E. coli Blog
E. coli victim home from hospital
The Lexington Herald-Leader reports that five-year-old Haley Caldwell of Richmond, Kentucky, has returned home from the hospital after a month in Kentucky Children’s Hospital due to an E. coli infection.
Haley was admitted to the University of Kentucky Children’s Hospital from hemolytic uremic syndrome, a potentially deadly set of medical problems most often caused by exposure to E. coli bacteria. She suffered from pancreatitis and colitis, developed problems with her blood, lost kidney function, went on dialysis, and was placed on a ventilator.