About E. coli Blog
Child Who Contracted E. coli At Fair’s Petting Zoo Last Year Doing Better
WRAL News reports that three-year-old Aedin Gray was hospitalized after being one of about 100 children who contracted E. coli at the N.C. State Fair’s petting zoo last year.
This year, she is doing much better, but is still suffering from the conditions caused by the E. coli infection and resultant hemolytic uremic syndrome.
Aedin’s medical condition has been complicated by diabetes. She wears an insulin pump and her blood sugar must be checked throughout the day. She may also need a kidney transplant some day.
With Aedin on the road to recovery, the Grays were able to have a new state law approved – called Aiden’s Law – that may help prevent future outbreaks. The new law includes the posting of warning signs and handwashing stations.