About E. coli Blog
12 year old Girl with E. coli still hospitalized
A 12-year-old girl remained in intensive care Wednesday after being infected with the E. coli bacteria at a Lake Forest restaurant, hospital and health officials said.
After being diagnosed with the most serious complication of E. coli Wednesday afternoon, the girl was transferred from Children’s Hospital of Orange County at Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo to the CHOC facility in Orange.
The girl, whose name has not been released because of privacy issues, was admitted to the hospital Friday. Two others hospitalized after dining at the Foothill Ranch Restaurant have been released. One person over age 70 was discharged Tuesday or Wednesday. An 8-year-old boy was discharged Tuesday. Health officials said they were still trying to determine the source of the bacteria that caused seven diners to become ill.
Denise Almazan, a CHOC spokeswoman, said the 12-year-old girl, a dancer, was in excellent health before she became ill. Almazan said the girl was diagnosed with hemolytic uremic syndrome, which occurs in less than 10% of those infected with E. coli, usually those younger than 5 or the elderly. People with HUS may develop kidney failure and anemia, and 3% to 5% die.